The castle in the property of the Rauber family (19th century)
The castle in Olasztelek, showing the modifications efectuated in the 1840's, by the baron Ferdinánd (Nándor) Rauber: the second floor arcades of the gallery were demolished, the windows became semicircular, and the „enormous hall” of the second floor was divided into several rooms (see the sketch with construction periods in the previous panel), theoretical reconstruction
The daughter of Lőrinc Daniel (baron from 1751, †1780), Josepha, married Miklós Rauber de Plankenstein (†1817). The soldier with Carinthian origins came in
Transylvania as a lieutenant of the Border-Warden Regiment, established under Empress Maria Theresa. Soon he became a captain, and after that reached the colonel rank. By marrying Josepha Daniel he became the proprietor of the castle in Olasztelek (despite to the old family tradition, according to which the feminin line didn't partake from the paternal goods).
„Ferdinánd Rauber, or Nándor, as he subsrcried himself, or the stumpy baron, as he was called by the people, lived in the pristine nest at Olasztelek, as a keeper. He was the stumpy baron, because he lost his arm in a hunting.” –wrote about him in 1901 László Kőváry. The baron participated in the Revolution of 1848–1849, and in this period his castle in Olasztelek was robbed. The baron never got married, and died in 1883 without successors.
The portrait of Gábor Daniel (1824–1915). He was a member of the Vargyas-line of the Daniel family, he married Mária Rauber in 1853, daughter of Rauber Károly (1790–1869). With the death of Ferdinánd (Rauber Károly’s brother) she got the castle in Olasztelek, pursuant to this the building passed again in the propriety of the Daniel de Vargyas family.
In 1884 Gábor Daniel and Mária Rauber (1831–1887) renovated the castle in Olasztelek, and comemorated these works with inscriptioned stone plaques (placed near the old gate, at the two sides of the 1649 stone door-frame, also placed here at that time probably).
This article is based on the exposition ''1680.ro or 350 years of illustrated castle - history", financed by a grant offered by Island, Lichtenstein and Norway.
Author: Fehér János Illustrated by: Gyöngyössy János